The elderly have so much wisdom to share, but sometimes it can seem daunting to strike up a conversation. Here’s our guide for great conversation starters that will spark enlightening and meaningful discussion.
Enjoy the Lighthearted Moments
Asking funny questions can be a great way to put you both at ease and lighten the mood. Enjoy the humor that follows—you may be surprised at what you learn!
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- At what moment in your life do you remember laughing the hardest?
- What is the strangest dream you ever had?
- What kind of clothes, hobbies, or slang was popular when you were a teenager?
Gather Their Wisdom
There’s a good chance that the senior you are talking to has gone through the same things you are right now. Honor the wisdom they’ve gained and learn from their experiences. As seniors age, they desire to pass along their knowledge to others in order to leave their mark on the world. Help them to do so by asking questions such as:
- What moment in history do you remember most vividly?
- What’s the hardest lesson you’ve ever learned?
- What’s the best advice your parents gave you? Did you listen to it?
- What’s your number one piece of life advice?
Ask for Their Recommendations
Everyone loves to recommend things that they like! Give seniors a chance to share some of their opinions, favorite music, and beloved books with you. You may just find a new favorite!
- What book would you recommend to your friends?
- What are your top 5 favorite movies of all time?
- What song or singer do you love to listen to?
- What famous public figure do you admire most?
Ask About Their Past
Revisiting old memories with a loved one can be meaningful and a great way to learn about their history. Taking the time to learn about their past can prepare you to share their stories with future generations.
- How did you meet your spouse?
- What was your favorite thing to do as a kid?
- How did you choose your children or pets’ names?
- What was one of your hobbies growing up?
Ask About Their Views on the Present
It can be fascinating to experience a different perspective of the present from someone who has been around longer than you have. Ask these questions to get some better insight from them:
- What’s one piece of technology that you think has changed our world for the better?
- How has the world changed from when you were my age?
- What’s something that brought you joy this week?
- What are the most difficult and most rewarding things about growing older?
Conversation can be a source of joy and a time of meaningful connection that our friendly staff at our care homes are here to provide for our residents. At The Canopy, our care facilities are designed to provide as many great experiences as possible. Give our staff a call today at (386) 515-7215 or visit us online and check out the wide range of activities our locations have to offer.